Seriously, in my sleepy little home-town of Vankleek Hill, a guy’s house exploded and took two (possibly three) others with it! There are lots of news links here but all the really good pictures are here at The Review.
My childhood home is less than 200 metres from the house. My Dad and step-Mom still live there, but no-one was home at the time. There actually wasn’t any damage to Dad’s house, but the house next door had their garage door blown in, and the house across the street lost a big picture window. According to my sources, the owner of the house that blew up had a gas fireplace installed on the weekend — my guess is that this’ll end in a court room. [ Update: the legal antics begin…]
It’s truly amazing that no-one was hurt (besides the guy who’s fridge fell on him). Apparently most in the neighbourhood are still not back in their homes. My Dad was back in time for dinner, but only because he doesn’t have natural gas. When the Enbridge guys came to inspect the house to make sure it was safe, they said “You don’t have gas? Really?” followed by the unbelievable “You want it?”.Pin It