Posts Tagged ‘Central’

Another Processing Example

Tuesday, September 25th, 2012

I got lots of great feedback on my last post about the processing I do on my photos. In that case, it was an image that I took conisderable artistic license with – much more than usual. I thought I should perhaps share an example that still required considerable processing – but only to return the image to what I saw when I took this photo of Central Presbyterian Church last week.


In this case the lens I used (a borrowed Tokina 11-16mm) caused considerable distortion to the vertical lines because I had to angle the camera up slightly in order to fit the steeple in. You’ll also note how flat the colour is in the original photo compared to the processed version. This was corrected by adjusting the blacks down and the whites up and boosting the contrast (see Lightroom settings on the right – click to enlarge). An adjustment to the white-balance was also necessary.

In most consumer digital cameras, these adjustments are made automatically by the camera as it converts the image into JPG format. Because I shoot in the much larger RAW format, the camera doesn’t make any guesses as to how the finished photo should look. I make those decisions manually in Lightroom as I “develop” each photo. It may sounds tedious to have to “develop” each photo like this, but I quickly becomes a discipline that, in the end, improves my photography.

My First Photosynth

Friday, August 22nd, 2008

Scoble tipped me off to the public launch of PhotoSynth. After 24 hours of trying (the PhotSynth server was overwhelmed for most of yesterday) I was finally able to create my first PhotoSynth. I just grabbed a folder of photos I had lying around of my church, Central Presbyterian in Cambridge, Ontario. There a few photos that shouldn’t have gone in there… and I’m kind of disappointed that some of the old photographs didn’t get matched up. The steeple, I think, confused the software since it is identical on all four sides. I really wish you could remove selected photos after the synth is created. Oh well – lessons learned.


Update: I tried again with a set of interior shots that I had: Central Interior